A Cup Of Matcha 16
A busy and somewhat stressful week with more surprise consulting work than I’m used to, and unpleasantly muggy weather - both may be to blame for the much shorter list of interesting links this week. Or, maybe there were just fewer interesting things.
I got round to trying to link a small Java app with Elixir using Erlang’s RPC - it looks as if it can manage a million requests per second on my laptop if I add some concurrency to the Java side. I also tried to use OpenSAML as part of this experiment, and failed.
Identity management of course is always interesting:
- OpenID Connect Federation 1.0 An overview of OpenID Connect’s new federation standard, with lots of diagrams.
- The Big OpenSAML Guide Positive: friendly docs for using the OpenSAML library. Negative: I can’t get the examples to work
With Evernote behaving as if it’s “Musked” - firing staff and doubling fees - it’s time to move elsewhere
- Evernote2MD Converts Evernote notebooks to folders of Markdown text (I’ve not used it yet!)
- How to switch from Evernote to Obsidian Obsidian looks promising as an alternative
- Joplin But of course so does Joplin (I have relatives in Joplin - the city - so the name seems a bit weird)
I spent an evening trying to decode the Bluesky firehose feed, for fun. I got a bit lost trying to decode unusual CBOR records.
- skyfall Stream data from the Bluesky firehose, using Ruby. This works! Unlike my effort.
- blue_factory Build Bluesky feeds using Ruby
- Twitter is burning, Bluesky is smug First Dog On The Moon’s remarkably accurate summary of today’s social media
And some general software development things:
- typeid TypeIDs for Elixir (UUID7, encoded to be shorter, with a prefix)
- erldash A TUI dashboard showing Erlang or Elixir node info, written in Rust!
- Type system updates Elixir seems to be getting a proper type system. ** Marge Simpson HMMMMM noise **
- Top UK universities agree on principles for using generative “AI” ** Much louder Marge Simpson HMMMMM noise **
- Skeeter Twitter/Mastodon to Bluesky user search
- Lessons From the Catastrophic Failure of the Metaverse GOOD LORD
- Data protection for spelling correction in the web browser Translation of Bavarian gov doc highlighting GDPR concerns over browser data handling
- nocodb An open source AirTable alternative
- pugixml.org A fast but relaxed XML parser library.
- Goodbye etcd, Hello PostgreSQL Using Postgresql to manage/configure a Kubernetes cluster
- Nearest Neighbor Indexes Nearest Neighbour indexes in Postgresql
- Joins 13 Ways Lots of different explanations of SQL Joins
- JRuby A great interview article on JRuby
- 10 Small Search Platforms List of many new, small search engines
- Rio terminal Terminal software for various OSs, but also the web
Only one odd link this week:
- Fix your back ache with BackHug This machine might fix my back and arm… I am tempted, very tempted.