A Cup Of Matcha 19
As always, identity management links first, although technically this week I’m including an identity management scam.
- New cryptocurrency offers users tokens for scanning their eyeballs An irresponsibly gentle article in The Guardian about the launch of the WorldCoin scam
- Worldcoin: a solution in search of its problem Molly White’s appropriately ungentle summary of the WorldCoin scam.
- Measuring the Risk Password Reuse Poses for a University The University of Chicago has been studying their users password use for 20 years!
- SSH TPM Agent Store SSH keys in your computer’s secure TPM module
Google’s clumsy attempt to sneak in web DRM is continuing to rumble on:
- Ensure Origin Trial enables full feature One week it was just an unofficial suggestion, then parts of it are going into Chrome… Hmmm.
- Intent to Prototype: Web environment integrity API Critics of Google’s plan are apparently “Bullies and criminals!”
- Francisco Tolmasky (@firstname.lastname@example.org) A call for Google to be kicked out of W3C
- “Web Environment Integrity” is an all-out attack on the free Internet The FSF aren’t happy either
- Apple already shipped attestation on the web, and we barely noticed I’m not convinced that Apple’s (and Cloudflare’s) anti-spambot attestation is the same thing as Google’s proposal but its worth worrying about whether it not it could become similar
General sysadmin and tech thing:
- What happened to Vivaldi Social? A fascinating look at a service failure and the sysadmin work to fix it
- Elixir is Safe Old article on how safe/secure Elixir is
- Elixir is (Still) Safe New article on how safe/secure Elixir is
- From Python to Elixir Machine Learning Moving from Python to Elixir for ML/AI work
- FBI Seizure of Mastodon Server is a Wakeup Call to Fediverse Users and Hosts to Protect their Users It’s like Steve Jackson’s servers all over again
- Twitter archiver Build a static website from exported Twitter data
- Detection And Response Development Lifecycle (DR-DLC) For Detection Engineering Forrester consultancy waffle on DR-DLC
- Rethinking Window Management – Space and Meaning Interesting article on how GUI window management could be different
- bloomberg/blazingmq: A modern high-performance open source message queuing system Bloomberg releases their own message queueing server software
- Twist An open source Slack/Teams sort of thing
- CoPhone An Android phone… in the cloud. For everyday use, not just for testing apps.
- Powerful Machine Learning at Your Fingertips by Jonatan Klosko ML with Elixir video
- Why not just use fetch with GraphQL? Video - Reasons to use a proper GraphQL client rather than a direct HTTP request
- MapKick I need a map soon.
- oclif CLI framework for Node.js
- Risor An embeddable, scriptable variant of Go
- PGCat PGCat has nice new features for loadbalancing Postgresql
- JPEG XL: How It Started, How It’s Going The new version of JPEG might actually be useful after all. Soon.
- Easy SVG sparklines Craft your own SVG sparklines
- A Breakdown of HTTP Clients in Elixir Describes differences between various HTTP libraries, but misses out Tesla!
- GitID A Git identity/profile management utility
- What it takes to build a real-time recommendation system I might need this, eventually
- Passkey Authentication with Rodauth Popular Ruby auth framework gets Passkeys, this tutorial shows how to get that working.
Finally a few odder things:
- textual-paint MS Paint clone in a terminal window
- Shakespeare Serif A font based on the early Shakespeare Folios’ typeface