A Cup Of Matcha 12
I managed to release a couple of things as open source last week and start a couple more, and the old, messy app that Smee is based on is now being rewritten with it. So far the rewrite has definitely paid off.
The Apple Vision Pro looks amazing, I want one, but I have nothing much to add to the excitement except to note that that its built-in authentication (eye scanning) is rather interesting.
Identity management things first:
- FastFed Working Group - OpenID Foundation I was vaguely aware of FastFed for OpenID
- FastFed Basic SAML Profile 1.0 - draft 02 but not that it could work with SAML!
- SESSIONS - TNC23 Videos of sessions at TNC, some of which are identity and OSS related. Also REFEDs Meeting
- Open Source Principles for NRENs Geant is building a principles/BP doc for NRENs working with open source
- Netflix’s password-sharing crackdowns prompts an increase in subscriptions Better authentication, more income
- regal A linter for the Rego authorisation language
- Managing risks in Internationalisation Potential security risks from offering courses to international students
A bunch of Rust links this week:
- single-file packages (“cargo script”) integration Proposal to have Elixir-like self contained scripts in Rust
- The Rust I Wanted Had No Future More commentary on the direction of Rust
- Announcing Rust 1.70.0 There’s a new version of Rust
- openobserve A Rust-based alternative to the rather needy, demanding, ElasticSearch
I’m supposed to wear some other hats…
“AI” is inescapable
- How ChatGPT improved my Elixir code Good?
- Today’s “AI” is unreasonable Bad
- Can you trust ChatGPT’s package recommendations? Weird
General web and software development things
- Create a swink - swink QRCodes with images without using the error correction trick
- JSON Meta Application Protocol Specification (JMAP) JMAP, an alternative to IMAP from Fastmail, is now an IETF standard!
- Build your own lazy operation evaluator in Elixir This is a useful trick
- exploit_guard Detect the injection of new functions in your Elixir app
- FerretDB I think I’ve linked to this before, but a MongoDB without MongoDB seems like an improvement over MongoDB
- High-compression Metrics Storage with Postgres Hyperloglog metric storage technique that I might be using soon
- Migrating to Verified Routes Pheonix 1.7 has a new, nicer routing config
- Elixir NIFs Embedding other binary libraries in Elixir
- Absinthe for Large Elixir Applications Not sure if mine count
- Liquid template language I’ve been using a version of Liquid templates with Elixir, I’d forgotten much of how it despite it being in this website!
- SchemaSpy Generate diagrams of your database structure
- WebKit Features in Safari 17 beta A few interesting improvements to Safari
- Materialize An actively maintained fork of the old MaterializeCSS project. Googly style for websites.
- Extending Platforms with WebAssembly WASM and Dapr
Finally the less usual things:
- DreamBerd A terrible new programming language that’s almost believable
- THE ANALOG THING Own a small analogue computer!
- Dumb Cuneiform Send messages in cuneiform on clay tablets
- Shapecatcher Draw a unicode character and it will try to find it. Ignores my attempts at Hangul
- Turtle Taxi Turtles spread shrimp around deserts