A Cup Of Matcha 20
(Apologies, it’s taken me weeks to actually publish this)
Identity management first, and this week Microsoft has been behaving badly with regards to Azure ADFS security (or whatever else it’s called now)
- After Identity Rather sprawling article on Okta, the identity Saas market, and the role of identity management in general
- Personal Information Removal Service A service that removes your personal info from data brokers, for a price. This is the free market alternative to GDPR I suppose.
- Kanidm An off-the-shelf open source, Rust-based IdP
- Compromised Microsoft Key: More Impactful Than We Thought MS leak critical keys, log things badly, respond badly.
- Guarding the bridge: new attack vectors in azure ad connect Other security problems with Azure ADFS, this time it’s Password Hash Sync
- What might authentication attacks look like in a phishing-resistant future?
- Senator Wyden’s Letter Senator Wyden’s letter to various US agencies complaining about MS’s poor response to recent security problems
- Microsoft… The Truth Is Even Worse Than You Think A summary of the recent problems with Microsoft’s authentication services
- 2024 List of Identity and Related Conferences A (growing) list of identity management conferences next year
- Authorization – the Next Big Thing Why is Authorization the Next Big Thing? My opinion is that the technical aspects of authentication are now solved, or at least, solved enough. Authorisation on the other hand is not adequately solved.
- Sam Altman’s Worldcoin might unleash worse problems than those it’s trying to solve Quartz article on the WorldCoin scam
- Kenya suspends Worldcoin’s crypto project over safety concerns Kenyan government stops WorldCoin operating there, at least for awhile
A few AI and ML links again:
- Large language models, explained with a minimum of math and jargon A pretty clear and useful intro to how large language models work. Or so it seems, I don’t really know how they work.
- Identifying Cats and Dogs A tutorial on building an image recognising system using LiveBook.
- Turns out there’s another problem with AI – its environmental toll Things like ChatGPT burn lots of money and energy to simulate nonsense.
- Using the OpenAI Functions API to Estimate Story Points “AI” might actually be useful for estimating work
Project management time:
- Enhancing Your “Definition of Done” Can Improve Your Minimum Viable Architecture It’s good to know when to stop
- What does a CTO actually do? I might need a better job title one day
A big block of general software development and web dev links:
- Google vs. the Open Web Google’s shitty behaviour with browser DRM is still rumbling on
- Google’s New Web Environment Integrity Proposal Dismissed by Brave, Mozilla, and Vivaldi Other browsers aren’t keen
- BBC Research & Development The BBC are experimenting with a Mastodon service (mostly for their R&D staff at present)
- LocalCan A fancy commercial app for Macs for managing local dev domains and certificates - nothing new, but neatly packaged.
- Bram Moolenaar The creator of VIM has passed away - seems to have been a nice guy.
- Eight Months Pregnant and Arrested After False Facial Recognition Match More obviously racist software being used by obliviously racist police
- Typograms Turn ASCII art into graphics
- Forcing your computer to rat you out Cory Doctorow essay on privacy and online identity
- Introduction “a11y-dialog is a lightweight yet flexible script to create accessible dialog windows”
- Add a Form to a Modal in Phoenix 1.7 LiveView modal forms
- Elixir to WebAssembly with Orb Interesting new approach to building WebAssembly
- OpenSMS Send SMS from your software the old fashioned way - by controlling a phone
- seedie Fancy database seeding, in Ruby, mostly for Rails.
- jlessand A Command-Line JSON Viewer A JSON viewer for the commandline
- Wolfi Wolfi is an OS-like packaging ecosystem
- wolfi-act * Using Wolfi packages dynamically within GitHub Actions
- 4 Tips to Monetize APIs With Usage-Based Pricing Pricing is difficult, this article was helpful
- Treemaps are awesome Treemaps can be very useful
- Tailscale Funnel Tailscale funnel looks useful, as does the rest of the service
Finally some odds and ends - a lot more than usual
- Render images into ASCII art
- Zelda ToTK Inventions How does any of this work (I’m still working my way through BoTW)
- Imax emulates palmpilot IMAX cinema screens use emulated Palm Pilots for control (not even good ones)
- About A PalmOS emulator for the web - you need your own ROMs
- basic-computer-games The original 1970 computer games book, with modern conversions of the code examples
- Macintosh.js Lots of different types of Macintosh (68k and PPC) emulated in an Electron app. Not the optimal way to do this, but friendly.
- Moss Voltaics Using moss as solar cells